Monday, March 22, 2010

Arch-Nemesis

I have two arch-nemesises…nemesii? And one of them is Type-2 Diabetes. I don’t have it, and one of my goals is never getting it. Genetically, I’m screwed…both of my parents have it and both of my grandfathers died of complications to type-2 diabetes, but I will not go down without a fight! One thing working in my favor is the fact that I have Celiac Disease, which some people freak out about when they get diagnosed, but actually, I think this is what will help me in my battle of good vs. evil more than anything else. I can’t eat most of the processed crap out there and get (not have, get) to make my own food, which means that when I am craving something that isn’t necessarily good for me, I get to tweak it. Take, for example, beef stroganoff. I flipping love my mom’s recipe. It is all about sour cream, cream of mushroom soup and thick as your pinky noodles. However, two out of three of those things I can’t eat and the other one isn’t super great for me…so I tweak. I found a recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (flipping love that thing) but had to tweak even more as it called for beef bullion and I couldn’t find any at the grocery store that were gluten-free. I used southwestern beef seasoning instead…tasted a little differently, but it worked! Sour cream? Try low-fat sour cream. Check! Thick noodles? Try Tinkynada fettuccine noodles. Check! Side of peas (delicious!). Check! Delightful. Kim: 1, Type-2 Diabetes: 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment